Haiti 2012: Day 4

Welcome to Haiti day 4! We are getting there.... slowly but surely. I want to get the last few Haiti posts out of the way cause I have some big time important YWAM news!! :) 

(pssst. Find days 1, 2, and 3 herehere, and here!)

So here is day 4! We were still working on day 4, which was Thursday. I decided to go with the painting group to the boys orphanage this day, instead of staying back to help on the kitchen. I was anxious to see the boys! 

They are always so sweet and so much fun to play with! There are about 25 of them, living at the orphanage, ranging in age from about 12-18 right now. This orphanage is not the adoption type, it's the type where they boys stay here until they are adults. The orphanage provides food, clothing, an education, a great environment, and love. It's also cool because these boys have grown up together. They are like brothers. And the orphanage teaches them great life skills to raise them up to become leaders, pastors, doctors, engineers, etc so they can help their country!

 Justin & Louisuis. Louisuis just happens to be one of my favorites. (They're all my favorites!) But Louisuis has a special place in my heart. My parents and siblings and I have all been to Haiti and the orphanage at different times, and we all love Louisuis so much- he tells me that we are his family. This time around, he made me cry when he told me, "I am coming to Sarasota Florida. When I am 22 years old. Merlin (my dad) will be my papa." Oh, my heart!!! He is 11, so only 11 years to go..! I hope he doesn't forget his plan!

.
 Steve, Alyssa, Jean Hubert, and Kayla



 Biford!

 The dogs here are sooo so sad. Skinny, diseased, stinkay... and they all look the exact same. 

 Biford and Ricardo. Ricardo is an amazing artist, or as they say in Creole, 'atis la'
 Justin 'Beiber' and Kendol sitting on the front steps of the orphanage. We painted it this blue-green color.. I love it! It was bright orange. 




 They love when we bring candy :) 




 This is Dave! He isn't an orphan, and he doesn't live at the orphanage. He lives in the neighborhood near the mission house, and he always was around to hangout with. While they didn't have school this summer, he was usually stuck with nothing to do, because he couldn't find work. So, he hung out with us a lot, came to the orphanage to help paint, helped mix concrete, etc. He is awesome! I would say he is about 16 or 17- I don't remember which- and his English is great! He always helped translate. I remembered him from when I had been in Haiti in 2010- I called him Micheal Jackson because he has pretty much mastered the moon walk and all those other sweet moves

They sat around this table singing and making beats (I feel so white right now, saying 'making beats'). They had a book of English phrases, songs, etc, and One one page it had the lyrics to Justin Beibers 'Baby,' and on the page next to it as Celine Dions 'My Heart Will Go On.' I guess these are the most popular songs in English? It was hilarious to hear them sing the second song.... Oh my I died laughing. These guys are awesome. 

 This is Bernard. When the Earthquake happened, he his foot hurt very severely and spent a lot of time in the hospital. It was great to see him back with his brothers having fun, and not letting his injury get to him at all. You would never know he had been hurt. I think- but am not sure- that they had to amputate part of his foot. He is one awesome guy. 



 Notice the Blazer's jersey... that's from my high school :) I always love to see the boys wearing shirts that are familiar to us, knowing they got them from us and love to wear them!








 This is Woobens. He is always at the orphanage playing with the boys because his grandma works there. He is sooo cute, probably about 4 or 5. 



Erika and John. John wants to be a pastor, and his love for Jesus is so evident. All over his cubby in the boys bedroom, he has written things like, "The blood of Jesus covers all!" and, "Oh! God, how I would love to live next to you!" 

Sooo that was day 4 I guess! We probably stayed at the orphanage until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, then went home. Then we did the usual- play with the neighborhood kids, eat dinner, have worship and devotions, play some more, shower, go to bed! I think it was this day that we walked down the road from the mission house to buy some pop. In Haiti they do have bottled pop, but it is cheaper to buy pop in glass bottles. It's also more fun to do it that way, and you get more pop for your 50 cents! They have this stuff called fruit champagne, and it's like orange soda or something, and just SO delicious! We went down and bought 10 bottles for 5 dollars. What a deal :) They were about a liter each, too!

I will hopefully be back very soon with the final day, day 5. Thanks for sticking with me thus far.
How bout you have a Thursday so wonderful that it doesn't seem like even FRIDAY could be any better. How bout that?!?

Yeah, I don't think that's possible either.

xx, Vanes.
xoxo Vanessa





Hi, We are templateify, we create best and free blogger templates for you all i hope you will like this blogify template we have put lot of effort on this template, Cheers, Follow us on: Facebook & Twitter

1 comment:

  1. First off what are you doing in Haiti is amazing:)

    second, I found you on Coast to Coast
    and thought I'd check out your blog since we are fellow Sarasota(ns)! (I don't know if that is the correct term, but it is kinda cute!)

    Love your blog, and definitely will be following!

    http://lifeoceanside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you mysterious people who read this blog. Go ahead, say something! Really!